On the Thursdays we don’t release a new AMT, we crank up the spoken word audio and have a Thursday Listening Party.
Click here to attend all previous gatherings.
From the AMT camp:
• Here’s Martin the Sound Man playing some pretty songs on MJ Hibbert’s Totally Acoustic podcast.
• In this month’s Sound Women podcast, I spoke to the owner of the quintessential radio voice, Charlotte Green. She talks about the poetry of the Shipping Forecast, the hideousness of 28 years of getting up at 3am for the Today Programme, and that on-air crack-up.
From the away camp:
• Last month I mentioned Robin Ince‘s excellent series Heal Thyself, and he has since presented the similarly top-notch Radio 4 documentary Tears of a Clown, about the link between comedy and mental health.
• If like me you’re a fan of Death, Sex & Money (the podcast of that name, not necessarily those things in combination), you may enjoy this interview with host Anna Sale on After The Jump, the podcast from Design*Sponge‘s Grace Bonney.
• And for all of you whose Serial fever is growing worse by the episode – and to help you through next week because they’re taking Thanksgiving off – your equivalent of nicotine gum is Slate’s Serial Spoiler Specials, the AV Club’s new Serial Serial, these weekly conversations with Rabia Chaudry who brought the case to Sarah Koenig in the first place, the parodies… To be honest, I’m enjoying the fervid commentary around the show more than the show itself.
For more true crime stories, do check out the ever-absorbing Criminal (my new Radiotopia sibling!), and I’ve been told I must listen to Sword and Scale, so I’m off to do that right now. What else would you recommend I hear, dears?
Our usual gigs:
• Catch up on AMT302 and the episodes preceding it.
• AMT episodes 1-170 and the special AMT albums are all available at answermethisstore.com, and if you buy any of them you’re bankrolling the podcast, for which we are extremely grateful. It’s around the time when busting out the AMT Christmas doesn’t seem too unseasonal, does it? Make Christmas come early and treat yourself to it.
• Olly’s on LBC every weekday 1am-4am. Go nocturnal to hear him.
• I host the monthly Sound Women podcast.
• Martin the Sound Man makes numerous other podcasts, including Brain Train about clever things, The Global Lab about cities and stuff, and The Sound of the Ladies music podcast.
• ALBUMS • CLASSIC EPISODES • BOOK • iTUNES • SOUNDCLOUD • FAQ •
iPHONE APP • ANDROID APP • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • YOUTUBE • MERCH
Tags: After the Jump, Anna Sale, BBC, Charlotte Green, Classic FM, Criminal, Death Sex & Money, Grace Bonney, Martin Austwick, MJ Hibbert, Pitch, podcasting, podcasts, radio, Radio 3, Radio 4, songs, Sound Women, Sword and Scale, Thursday Listening Party